The 1980s were an era of bold fashion, iconic music, and unforgettable pop culture. Hosting an 80’s themed party is a fantastic way to transport your guests back in time and relive the magic of this vibrant decade. In this comprehensive guide, we’ll walk you through everything you need to know to throw an epic 80’s bash that will leave your guests talking for years to come.
Table of Contents
- Setting the Stage: Creating the Perfect 80’s Atmosphere
- 1.1. Choosing the Right Venue
- 1.2. Decorations That Scream ’80s
- 1.3. The Essential ’80s Playlist
- Dress to Impress: 80’s Fashion and Costumes
- 2.1. Iconic ’80s Fashion Trends
- 2.2. DIY Costume Ideas
- 2.3. Accessories That Complete the Look
- Feast Fit for an ’80s Feast: Food and Drinks
- 3.1. Nostalgic ’80s Snacks
- 3.2. Signature ’80s Cocktails
- 3.3. Creating a Rad Cake
- Games, Competitions, and Activities: Keep the Party Pumping
- 4.1. Dance-Offs and Lip Sync Battles
- 4.2. Trivia and ’80s Pop Culture Quizzes
- 4.3. Best ’80s Costume Contest
- Capturing the Memories: Photo Booths and Props
- 5.1. DIY Photo Booth Setup
- 5.2. Props for Hilarious Photos
- Safety First: Ensuring a Smooth ’80s Party
- 6.1. Responsible Drinking and Transportation
- 6.2. First Aid Kit and Emergency Contacts
- 6.3. Following Local Noise Regulations
- FAQs About Hosting an ’80s Themed Party
- 7.1. What Are Some Must-Have ’80s Songs for My Playlist?
- 7.2. How Can I Encourage Guests to Dress Up?
- 7.3. What Are Some Creative Food Ideas Inspired by the ’80s?
- 7.4. How Can I Create an Authentic ’80s Atmosphere on a Budget?
- 7.5. What Games and Activities Will Keep Guests Entertained?
- 7.6. What Are Some Safety Tips for Hosting a House Party?
Setting the Stage: Creating the Perfect 80’s Atmosphere
1.1. Choosing the Right Venue
Selecting the right venue is crucial for setting the stage for your ’80s party. Look for a space that allows for ample dancing room and has enough room for decorations. Consider whether you want an indoor venue with an ’80s aesthetic or an outdoor space for a more casual vibe.
1.2. Decorations That Scream ’80s
Transforming your venue into an ’80s wonderland is all about the right decorations. Think neon colors, geometric shapes, and iconic ’80s symbols like cassette tapes and Rubik’s cubes. Consider using black lights to create that quintessential neon glow that defined the era.
1.3. The Essential ’80s Playlist
Music is the heartbeat of any ’80s party. Curate a playlist featuring the biggest hits from artists like Madonna, Michael Jackson, and Prince. Don’t forget the power ballads and iconic anthems that will have everyone singing along.
Dress to Impress: 80’s Fashion and Costumes
2.1. Iconic ’80s Fashion Trends
The ’80s were all about bold fashion choices. Think leg warmers, acid-washed jeans, and oversized blazers. Encourage your guests to embrace the fashion trends of the era and let their inner ’80s style shine.
2.2. DIY Costume Ideas
Not everyone has an ’80s wardrobe lying around. Provide DIY costume ideas like “Punky Brewster” or “Breakdancer” that guests can easily put together with items from their own closets or thrift stores.
2.3. Accessories That Complete the Look
Accessories are key to nailing an ’80s look. Think scrunchies, fingerless gloves, and chunky jewelry. These small details can take a costume from good to totally tubular.
Feast Fit for an ’80s Feast: Food and Drinks
3.1. Nostalgic ’80s Snacks
Take a trip down memory lane with a selection of snacks that were all the rage in the ’80s. Offer classics like Doritos, Pop Rocks, and Fruit Roll-Ups. Don’t forget to include a bowl of Jelly Belly jelly beans for an extra dose of nostalgia.
3.2. Signature ’80s Cocktails
Create a drink menu inspired by the popular cocktails of the ’80s. Think Sex on the Beach, Blue Lagoon, and the iconic Tequila Sunrise. For non-alcoholic options, consider serving up Shirley Temples and Virgin Piña Coladas.
3.3. Creating a Rad Cake
Go all out with an ’80s themed cake that’s a work of art in itself. Think bright colors, geometric shapes, and maybe even a Pac-Man or Rubik’s Cube design. Not only will it be a delicious treat, but it’ll also serve as a centerpiece for your dessert table.
Games, Competitions, and Activities: Keep the Party Pumping
4.1. Dance-Offs and Lip Sync Battles
Get the dance floor rocking with friendly dance-offs and lip sync battles. Encourage guests to channel their inner ’80s pop stars and let loose. Award prizes for the most entertaining performances.
4.2. Trivia and ’80s Pop Culture Quizzes
Test your guests’ ’80s knowledge with trivia and pop culture quizzes. Include questions about music, movies, TV shows, and fashion from the era. It’s a fun way to challenge your guests and keep them engaged.
4.3. Best ’80s Costume Contest
Host a costume contest and let your guests show off their ’80s-inspired outfits. Have categories like “Most Authentic,” “Most Creative,” and “Best Group Costume.” Offer prizes for the winners to add an extra layer of excitement.
Capturing the Memories: Photo Booths and Props
5.1. DIY Photo Booth Setup
Set up a designated photo booth area with a backdrop that complements your ’80s theme. Provide props like oversized sunglasses, wigs, and inflatable instruments for guests to use in their photos. This way, everyone can take home a fun memento from the party.
5.2. Props for Hilarious Photos
In addition to the photo booth, scatter ’80s-themed props around the venue for impromptu photo opportunities. Think inflatable boomboxes, neon signs, and oversized cell phones. These props will add an extra element of fun and laughter to the party.
Safety First: Ensuring a Smooth ’80s Party
6.1. Responsible Drinking and Transportation
Encourage responsible drinking by providing a variety of non-alcoholic options and arranging for designated drivers or rideshares. Ensure that guests have a safe way to get home at the end of the night.
6.2. First Aid Kit and Emergency Contacts
Have a well-stocked first aid kit on hand in case of any minor injuries or accidents. Also, make a list of local emergency contacts and display it prominently in case anyone needs assistance.
6.3. Following Local Noise Regulations
Check with your local authorities about any noise regulations that may apply to your event. Ensure that you’re in compliance to avoid any disruptions or complaints from neighbors.
FAQs About Hosting an ’80s Themed Party
7.1. What Are Some Must-Have ’80s Songs for My Playlist?
- “Like a Virgin” by Madonna
- “Billie Jean” by Michael Jackson
- “Sweet Child o’ Mine” by Guns N’ Roses
- “Every Breath You Take” by The Police
- “Walk Like an Egyptian” by The Bangles
7.2. How Can I Encourage Guests to Dress Up?
- Send out invitations with a clear ’80s theme and costume suggestion.
- Provide costume ideas and inspiration on the invitation or in follow-up communications.
- Offer a prize for the best costume to incentivize guests to go all out.
7.3. What Are Some Creative Food Ideas Inspired by the ’80s?
- Mini Sliders with a side of ’80s-style curly fries.
- Gourmet Jell-O shots with neon-colored layers.
- Popcorn tossed in retro flavors like caramel or cheese.
7.4. How Can I Create an Authentic ’80s Atmosphere on a Budget?
- Shop at thrift stores for inexpensive ’80s-inspired decorations and clothing.
- Use DIY techniques to create decorations like paper mache props or hand-painted banners.
- Opt for budget-friendly food and drink options that still capture the spirit of the ’80s.
7.5. What Games and Activities Will Keep Guests Entertained?
- Set up a DIY karaoke station with a selection of ’80s hits.
- Host a “Name That ’80s Tune” game with small prizes for winners.
- Arrange a “Breakdance Battle” for guests who want to show off their moves.
7.6. What Are Some Safety Tips for Hosting a House Party?
- Ensure clear pathways and well-lit areas to prevent accidents.
- Have a plan for handling intoxicated guests, including arranging for safe transportation home.
- Keep an eye on the noise level to avoid disturbances to neighbors.
Conclusion: Throw the Ultimate ’80s Party
With the right planning and attention to detail, you can host an ‘80s themed party that will be the talk of the town. From the perfect venue to the iconic fashion and unforgettable activities, this guide has you covered. So, gather your leg warmers and cassette tapes, and get ready to transport your guests back to the raddest decade of them all.